Many people come to me and say they cannot enjoy today because of something that happened in the past.Because they did not do something or do it in a certain way in the past, they cannot live a full life today. Because they no longer have something they had in the past, they cannot enjoy today. Because they were hurt in the past, they will not accept love now. Because something unpleasant happened when they did something once, they are sure it will happen again today. Because they once did something that they are sorry for, they are sure they are bad people forever. Because once someone did something to them, it is now all the person’s fault that their life is not where they want it to be. Because they became angry over situation in the past, they will hold on to that self-righteousness. Because of some very old experience where they were treated badly, they will never forgive and forget.
- Because I disappointed my parents, I will be loser forever.
- Because I am no longer married, I cannot live a full life today.
- Because I was hurt by a remark once, I will never trust anyone again.
- Because I stole something once, I must punish myself forever.
- Because I was poor as a child, I will never get anywhere.
What we often refuse to realize is that holding on to the past no matter what it was or how awful it was is ONLY HURTING US. They really don’t care. Usually they are not even aware. We are only hurting ourselves by refusing to live in this moment to the fullest.
The past is over and done and cannot be changed. This is the only moment we can experience. Even when we lament about the past, we are experiencing our memory of it in this moment, and losing the real experience of this moment on the process.
Let us now clean up the past in our minds. Release the emotional attachment to it. Allow the memories to be just memories. If you think back to what you used to were. It’s just a memory. It can be the same for all of the past events in our lives. As we let go, we become free to use of our mental power to enjoy this moment and to create a great future.
List all the things you are willing to let go of. How willing are you to do this? Notice your reactions. What will you have to do to these things go? How willing are you to do so? What is your resistance level?
Next step, forgiveness. Ask forgiveness to our Mentor who art in heaven, forgiveness of ourselves and of others releases us from the past. The course in miracles says over and over that forgiveness is the answer to almost everything. I know that when we are stuck, it usually means there is some more forgiving to be done.
When we do not flow freely with life in the present moment, it usually means we are holding on to a past moment. It can be regret, sadness, hurt, fear, or guilt, blame, anger, resentment, and sometimes even the desire for revenge. Each one of these states comes from a space of unforgiving, a refusal to let go and come into the present moment. LOVE is always the answer to healing of any sort. And the pathway to love is forgiveness.
Mark 11:25 ”And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”
- Granting Forgiveness, Part II (recoveringwayward.wordpress.com)
- Forgiveness Prayer (stephen777dotcom1.wordpress.com)
- Only My Own Forgiveness Sets Me Free (celiaelaine.wordpress.com)
- Forgive and Forget? (inspirationalchristiansfortoday.com)
- Ten ways to love: Forgiving without punishment (doyoumeanwhatiknow.wordpress.com)
- Forgiveness. (emilystroia.wordpress.com)
- 110 Pages. (ridgwaydanielle.wordpress.com)
- Turning Points: Jerks, Nutcases, and the Guy You Can’t Stand (turningplace.wordpress.com)
- Forgiving the Cheater – is it a “Free Pass”? (recoveringwayward.wordpress.com)
- 11 Things You Should Start Doing for Yourself Today (rhubblog.com)