- In, relating to, or characteristic of a city or town.
- An urban area is characterized by higher population density and vast human features in comparison to areas surrounding it.
My entry for this week challenge is…
My hometown. The land of promise and the land of the brave. The City of Davao or in Filipino ”Lungsod ng Dabaw” is the most peaceful, safest and cleanest city in the Philippines. Davao is 3 times larger than Metro Manila and 7 times larger than Cebu. With over 240,000 hectares of land area, Davao City is the largest city in the Philippines in terms of acreage.
Davao City is known for a lot of things. It is the Orchid Capital of the Philippines, the Fruit Basket of the Philippines and the City in Bloom. The Philippine Eagle also known as Monkey-Eating Eagle is found in this city. Davao is the home of a lot of gardens, plantations and a wide variety of flowers. The most famous flower found in abundance in the city is Waling-waling or Vanda Sanderana, a type of orchid.
Davao City has plenty of amazing beaches and mountain resorts, and is close to diving spots and the highest peak in the Philippines, Mt. Apo. It was awarded by the Department of Tourism as the “Most Livable City” in the Philippines in 2008. This city is a typhoon free and is also known as a Durian City of the Philippines. If you missed my previous post about Durian fruit click here.
The other reasons why people like to choose Davao as a good place to live or visit is because of the quality of life that we have here. The city is extremely urbanized and yet satisfyingly simple in lifestyle, so it retains the best of both worlds. Davaoeño, a dialectal variant of Cebuano, is the major spoken language in the city, while the Tagalog itself comes a distant second. English is the medium of instruction in schools and is widely understood and spoken especially in the field of business and for all official documents. Bistaglish, an informal mixing of the above languages, is spoken as well. My hometown was, and remains a peaceful and beautiful town and I am proud to say ” Davaoeña ko bai.”
- Davao City to enforce plastic ban in 2 days (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Day 34 – Your favorite kind of fruit (nackynice.wordpress.com)
- Magnolia’s Davao mangosteen ice cream to hit streets soon (mindanews.com)
- Premier SM Mall, First in DAVAO (mercsrealstories.wordpress.com)
- Davao rushes cacao planting to meet demand of US chocolate maker (mindanews.com)
- Avida expands southward with first condo project in Davao City (avidalandproperties.wordpress.com)
- Day 5 – Picture of your favorite city (nackynice.wordpress.com)
- IBM helps transform Davao into ‘intelligent’ city (technology.inquirer.net)
- [Press Release] Prosecute Officials for ‘Death Squad’ Killings -HRW (hronlineph.com)
- Davao now most populous urban area after Metro Manila (newsinfo.inquirer.net)